Sunday, March 21, 2010

Earth Hour 2010

Hello Dolls!

Earth Hour is coming up on Saturday, March 27, 8:30pm-9:30pm, local time. Haven't heard of it? Shame on you. But never fear, Diva Zero is here to break it down.

What - This is an initiative started by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and it is a global call to action to impact climate change. I know - what does wildlife have to do with climate change? Well, geniuses, climate change affects us and we are animals, right? (Some more than others, but that is an entirely different blog.) And just imagine all those polar bears struggling to stay on ever-shrinking islands of ice. Awww!

It doesn't matter where you come down on the issue of animal rights. Whether you love 'em, hate 'em or just love their meat, fur or skin, we all agree that we need animals around. WWF has taken the lead on this important issue that ultimately benefits you and other wild things.

How - Turn all your lights and other electrically-powered anythings off for one hour. When Earth Hour started three years ago in Sydney, Australia, turning the lights off in one city for one hour had the equivalent effect of taking 48,000 cars off the road! Now, nearly one billion people from 4,100 cities in 87 countries on all seven continents participated last year and, with your help, Earth Hour 2010 can be even bigger. And you've always wanted to be important.

Where - During past Earth Hours, landmarks including the Golden Gate Bridge, Empire State Building, Eiffel Tower and Great Pyramids have gone dark alongside the city skylines of San Francisco, New York, Paris, and Cairo. To see it for yourself, check out this video:
http://www.myearthhour.org/earth-hour-video. (Go ahead - it will take less than 3 minutes of your life and you know you ain't doing anything anyway!)

When - Saturday, March 27, 8:30pm-9:30pm, local time. I said that already - come on people, pay attention!

Why - Because I said so. If you need more of a reason than that, go to http://www.myearthhour.org/ to find out what a big difference you can make. But seriously, I thought we were past that by now - my word should be good enough.

Who - You, bitches!

So go ahead and turn those lights off. Because honestly - wouldn't it be nice if, just for once, your lights went out by choice and not because your triflin' ass didn't pay the bill?

I'll see you in the dark,
Diva Zero
Catch my chic.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS A GOOD, NO GREAT FORUM TO START A MOVEMENT - NOT EVERYONE KNOWS OR ACTS ON WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT IS GOOD FOR US, SO I COMMEND YOU. ALSO, THE SOCIAL COMMENTARY IS HOT! NOW GIVE US GUYS A FEW BONES. I WISH YOU POSTED MORE OFTEN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Help me out here: I'm just coming around to the environmental way of thinking to keep peace in the house. I've been watching my behavior, not littering the earth, leaving a place cleaner than I found it, and there are no cigarette butts in my car nor do I throw them out of the window and MISTAKE!! Now, my woman (animal lover, ALL ANIMALS) is hasseling me about shopping for products by companies that do not test on animals (not easy to do), she doesn't est meat and is damn near a veggan. Isn't this taking the custodianship of the earth a bit far??

    ReplyDelete